Hauled out!

Finally it was time for us to haul out Anne-Mon for the first time. Winter season in Sweden is over and most boat that been on the hard is now in the water which means a lot of free space for us. Finding a winter spot close to central Stockholm is not very easy for a bigger boat and one of the reasons we’ve been in the water over winter.

Anne-Mon has was last hauled out about 5-6 years ago, so we were pretty nervous to what we would find underneath the waterline…

On our way out of the water, wondering what we will find underneath.

A first look when the hull is still wet.

To our surprise, the hull looked so much better than we expected. There is a bit of growth on the hull, and a few barnacles but still not much in comparison of what it could have been. Baltic Sea is a pretty “kind” sea, brackish water and compared to southern oceans growth is less, but even for a boat in the Baltic it looked pretty good. The hull was also very even and smooth, and no huge damages what we could find at this point, if there are any smaller ones we will probably find them when all old bottom paint is removed.

As it is a pretty old boat that has been in the water for so long our expectations on the shape of the hull were very low, so this was a nice surprise. We are really excited to add some new paint and make her look really pretty again. We also plan to paint the topsides as well, so it will hopefully be quite some difference.

The hull after it has dried a bit. We plan to paint both below and above the water-line.
The propeller, we have taken it off for some polishing.
The bow thruster propeller, pretty dirty in here.

Our plan for our time on the hard is to:

  • Remove old anti-fouling
  • Paint with epoxy based paint and fix smaller damages above waterline
  • Anti-fouling
  • Paint the topsides
  • Go over and change through-hulls were it is needed
  • Go over bow-thruster
  • Go over propeller
  • …and a bunch of other smaller jobs

First thing to do was to get rid of smaller things on the boat that will be in the way when sanding, for example; pulpit, winches etc. It was not so much effort removing them and it will make sanding and painting the topsides much easier. We also started removing the old bottom-paint.

Removing old anti-fouling.

We have also received the new battens and batten boxes for our new second hand main sail so we cut the battens in the correct size and attached the batten boxes. We are really looking forward to sail with this new sail, we think it will be a huge improvement compared to the old one, which was a bit worn out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *