We are definitely starting to make a progress with our mahogany interior. And the result is really good, we are really happy with our decision to do this work, even though it takes time. It both looks really good and also a lot of improvements with the boat smell. The entire boat is bit by bit starting to feel a lot fresher. One thing we did that has been a huge improvement smell-wise, is that we have set up old computer fans in the bilge to drag out the air in the bilge outside instead of it rising into the living area of the boat. We are also looking at renting a ozon generator to get rit of some old boat smell.
Now let’s look at some mahogany pictures.
We have planned to add mahogany at two more places, around the navigation table and at our aft “cabin”. After that we also have some more work to finish our electrical installation and also continue with our autopilot, of course. And also get all paperwork in order.
It’s been a couple of days since our last update here, but we blame Christmas holidays for that. We have spent some time working on the boat as well but also taking some time off to spend with our families.
One thing we have done during Christmas is to set up the first mahogany lists in the guest cabin.
We painted the vertical plywood strips black in case of gaps between the mahogany lists. The black material behind the mahogany is an insulation material called Armaflex, which we use both as a support for the lists and extra insulation.
We also moved the boat to a protected winter harbor for the coldest months before the ice comes. We will stay in the water for the winter and take Anne-Mon up on land in spring to go over the hull and re-paint it.
Soon it is a new year, 2020, the year we will leave Sweden and start our sailing adventure! 🙂 More about our plans for 2020 in next post.
Time for part two of the companionway renovation! If you want to read part one, click HERE. After adding wood putty and sanding the companionway door several times it was time to put it together. First up was the frame, it is made of stainless steel and it was Anne-Mon’s previous owner that had made this. It is a well made frame so it is really nice to save some time and money.
It feels really nice to have a proper door, but it is not completely finished. We are still missing a part for the handle, which we have ordered and should be arriving soon. We will also varnish the door, but there’s no rush. The linseed oil needs 14 days to harden and wood is protected by the oil.
Just for fun, here’s a picture of the old door we had. Just a piece of plywood with some insulation on it.
Another thing we did was to change the plexiglass for the engine instruments seen from the cockpit.
Next up will be a post about our propane installation, which we have been working with in parallel to the cabin door and a bunch of other things. We are preparing Anne-Mon so that we can take a couple of days to go sailing in the Stockholm archipelago, hopefully we will be off sailing in a couple of days.
One thing we want to have completed before the summer starts for real is the companionway door we have had for our sailboat. The old one we have is just a plywood with some insulation on it. It is leaking and is looking pretty boring, and with the newly renovated sliding hatch we need a matching companionway door.
The door is pretty thick and will feel as a proper door when finished.
Next up with the companionway door will be to add the metal frame, continue sanding, add windows and finally varnish it! 🙂
As mentioned before we have started to paint the cockpit, hopefully the weather is with us the following days so we can add the final layers. If you want to read previous posts about the work we have been doing on our sailboat, all posts (except the engine, which is found under the category Engine) related to the renovation can be found under the category Renovation.
We have had trouble earlier with our leaking sliding hatch , which we started to repair a couple of weeks ago, read more about part one HERE. When the linseed oil we added had hardened 14 days later we started to varnish it.
After we had added 8 layers of varnish we glued the Isiteek, which is fake teak made out of plastic, back on the hatch and then it was time to start with repairing the leakages.
In parallel to working with the leaking sliding hatch we have also started working with the door to the cabin. We currently have a provisional one but the previous owner had started to make a new one and we are just continuing that work, but more about the door later. We have also worked quite a lot with the plastic repairs in the cockpit, and today we thought we could finally paint it but had some drawbacks… will add a blog post about that tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
Now lets just hope that this leaking sliding hatch won’t cause any more trouble and is finished for good, we don’t need more work right now. We will update if the sliding hatch is sealed when we have had time to test it.