Life on the hard

Now we have been up on land for a couple of days and we continue to work hard with getting everything ready. Our first mission was to remove all anti-fouling. After a couple of days scraping and sanding it was finally gone and we could continue with other things.

Most of the old epoxy primer is in pretty good shape, but there are some places were the old paint has gone loose. We sanded up those places to get an even surface for the new epoxy primer we will paint later.

Now we will let the hull dry for a couple of more days before we seal it up and start painting. But we are not out of work in the meantime. We have a lot of possible places for leakages on deck. We have a sandwich hull and a lot of the attachments on deck have small cracks where water can sip through into the hull. As mentioned, thankfully, we have a core material that is not made out of wood, but we don’t want water in the core anyway.

So while we let the hull dry we continue to work on sealing all attachments on deck. So we removed a bunch of stuff; the sheet rail, mooring bollard, the one fairlead that was left. Started to sand around them and repair with epoxy.

bowsprit sailboat
An old picture from when we just bought the boat, as you can see one of the fairleads are gone and the plastic around the other one is a bit broken.

For the fairleads it has been pretty hard finding an equal one as the old ones. So we bought new one that will sit on top instead of integrated with the hull. So we removed the old one and filled the old holes up.

Work on going filling up the holes where the old fairleads where. Not finished here though, still needs some more filling. (We also took of the bowsprit as we will re-paint the hull, makes it easier to get to everything, she looks pretty naked without it though…)

We also removed the sheet rails on both sides, we drilled up the old holes and filled them with epoxy. This was a good thing we removed the sheet rails, as some of the holes have probably been leaking a lot.

Preparing for some plastic repairs on around the chain plates.

Next up was the chainplates. Our plan with the chainplates is to repair what is needed with epoxy around them, but leave a small opening around the plates. This opening we will fill up with butyl-tape which will be kept in place with a small custom made metal. This was it will hopefully not be any leakages and the movements and tensions from the chain won’t break the plastic around them. But more on this and better pictures in the future when we’ve actually done this.

Small repairs around the chainplates.
Also removed and opened up some bubbles on the topsides.

Our “On the hard to-do list” and some status updates:

  • Remove old anti-fouling – Done!
  • Repair all possible leakages above deck (chainplates, fairleads etc etc) – work ongoing
  • Go over and change through-hulls were it is needed – some through-hulls removed and new ones ordered. 
  • Go over bow-thruster – Work ongoing, taken apart and new sealings ordered
  • Go over propeller – Prop removed and ready for some love
  • Paint with epoxy primer, both below waterline and above at some places
  • New anti-fouling
  • Prepare topsides before painting
  • Paint the topsides

 

Hauled out!

Finally it was time for us to haul out Anne-Mon for the first time. Winter season in Sweden is over and most boat that been on the hard is now in the water which means a lot of free space for us. Finding a winter spot close to central Stockholm is not very easy for a bigger boat and one of the reasons we’ve been in the water over winter.

Anne-Mon has was last hauled out about 5-6 years ago, so we were pretty nervous to what we would find underneath the waterline…

On our way out of the water, wondering what we will find underneath.

A first look when the hull is still wet.

To our surprise, the hull looked so much better than we expected. There is a bit of growth on the hull, and a few barnacles but still not much in comparison of what it could have been. Baltic Sea is a pretty “kind” sea, brackish water and compared to southern oceans growth is less, but even for a boat in the Baltic it looked pretty good. The hull was also very even and smooth, and no huge damages what we could find at this point, if there are any smaller ones we will probably find them when all old bottom paint is removed.

As it is a pretty old boat that has been in the water for so long our expectations on the shape of the hull were very low, so this was a nice surprise. We are really excited to add some new paint and make her look really pretty again. We also plan to paint the topsides as well, so it will hopefully be quite some difference.

The hull after it has dried a bit. We plan to paint both below and above the water-line.
The propeller, we have taken it off for some polishing.
The bow thruster propeller, pretty dirty in here.

Our plan for our time on the hard is to:

  • Remove old anti-fouling
  • Paint with epoxy based paint and fix smaller damages above waterline
  • Anti-fouling
  • Paint the topsides
  • Go over and change through-hulls were it is needed
  • Go over bow-thruster
  • Go over propeller
  • …and a bunch of other smaller jobs

First thing to do was to get rid of smaller things on the boat that will be in the way when sanding, for example; pulpit, winches etc. It was not so much effort removing them and it will make sanding and painting the topsides much easier. We also started removing the old bottom-paint.

Removing old anti-fouling.

We have also received the new battens and batten boxes for our new second hand main sail so we cut the battens in the correct size and attached the batten boxes. We are really looking forward to sail with this new sail, we think it will be a huge improvement compared to the old one, which was a bit worn out.