It was time to finalize the installation of the engine so that we could test it after our Volvo Penta renovation. We had lifted it to the correct position and we needed to connect the gearbox to the engine and the propeller shaft and connect diesel, sea water, cooling system to the boiler and some electricity to the engine before we could do a test start inside the boat.
First up was to assemble the gearbox and then connect it to the shaft. The gearbox need to be inserted precisely to its correct position and we used our rig (that we used when lifting the engine into position) to get the gearbox correctly into position. After that we could connect the shaft.
Then we connected the diesel, sea water and cooling system so that we could do a test start inside the boat. Here’s a video from the first test start:
Then we decided to take the engine out for a test drive. First we just drove around in the marina. If the engine would break then we would at least wouldn’t be out in the sea. We drove around inside the marina for a while and the engine behaved really good. Before doing our renovation the engine had trouble running on idle and when put it in reverse it died. Now it was no problem running on idle or to put it in the reverse! 🙂 But everything wasn’t smoothly. We had an oil leak in the gearbox and a sea water leak in the oil cooler. We will need to do further investigations of them.
Here’s a little video from our first drive inside the marina:
After driving around in the marina for about half an hour we drove to the islands of Fjäderholmarna and back to run the engine with some more speed. We drove around 3.5 knots, we don’t want to run the engine to hard in the beginning before all parts have run in together.
Another major improvement is the amount of smoke from the exhaust…
The reason we had that much smoke before was that the engine had bad compression and all the diesel didn’t incinerate properly.
Now it is time for some before and after pictures!
Now the engine is classified as done (except for some small leakages). Our future renovation plans will be to:
It was finally time to lift our Volvo Penta engine to its correct position in the boat and start the installation, after an entire winter of doing a full renovation of the engine (read all our blog posts about the renovation HERE). But before starting the installation we had to fix a small diesel leakage in the connection between our two fuel tanks. We noticed the leakage when lifting the engine into the boat but didn’t have the time to fix it immediately.
So the first thing we needed to do was to fix the connection. We had a hard time get the connections in the correct position last time, since it is not very much room in the bilge and that is probably the reason for the leakage. We changed the connection and hopefully we won’t have any more leakages here.
As mentioned earlier, we had noticed a mysterious hatch. At first we wanted to open it to see what is inside it. But when we tried to open it we almost broke the plastic in the bilge so we decided to not open it and re-sealed it.
Then it was time to lift the generator into its position.
And finally it was time for the engine. First up was to get the external oil sump into its position.
We used the same rig we built when lifting the engine out from the boat. It is made out of wood and we secured it towards the interior in the boat to get it really stable.
Before it is time to try to start the engine we need to connect the gearbox to the engine and the shaft. We also need to connect the diesel, sea water, cooling system to the boiler and some electricity before we do our first test start inside the boat.
In parallel of working with the engine, we also renovated the generator for our sailboat. The generator we have is a Zeise Liliput Multi Power. Our main focus during the winter was the engine and we just wanted to do what was necessary with the generator.
As everything else on the boat, the generator had been abandoned for ten years. We suspected from the start that the heat exchanger would be quite dirty, so we removed the heat exchanger to clean it.
There were no problems running the generator, so there is not much that we need to do. But what we will do is:
Changing the fuel hoses
Changing the driving belts
Paint the covers for the generator
Change oil and coolant
We are still waiting for the ice to melt in the marina were we have the boat, but we hope that we will be able to lift the engine back in to the boat next weekend. To see all our posts about renovation, see the category Renovation, and for the posts about the engine, see category Engine.
We had decided to lift the engine out of the boat, so that we could do a full service of the engine during the winter months. Our engine is a Volvo Penta MD19 with a weight of approximately 270 kg (595 lbs) so it would not be an easy task.
The first thing we did was to remove the gear box, before starting to lift the engine. This was necessary to make it possible to lift the engine out from its position. The gear box weighs approximately 30 kg (66 lbs), so the engine also weighed a little less, not much, but every kg counts.
We built a rig made of wood, with the rig and a chain hoist we were able to lift the engine out from the bilge. The chain hoist was very helpful, since we didn’t need to use our own muscles to lift the engine. Otherwise it wouldn’t be possible with just the two of us, and it would probably cause some pain in the back for those involved lifting. Now we could do the work ourselves, the whole process was very controlled and no back pain afterwards!
The next thing we will do is starting to remove all the parts of the engine. You can follow our service of the engine under the category Engine. All other renovation we do to our sailboat Anne-Mon can be found under the category Renovation.