Freezer progress

Lately we have continued with our future fish freezer. We have started to add insulation to it, in the form of some kind of styrofoam with closed cells. The closed cells means that it wont absorb any water.

Before we started adding insulation we replaced one of the “walls” to the freezer. The old one was pretty worn out and also had a big hole in it for the old chiller.

We replaced the old “wall” of the freezer box to a new fresh piece of wood instead.
First layer of styrofoam glued on the the sides of the freezer.

As mentioned above, the styrofoam we have used is a closed cell styrofoam. Each piece is 5 cm (2″) thick and for the side walls we will have 2 layers of styrofoam as insulation, so 10 cm (4″) in total. The bottom of the freezer follows the shape of the hull, which means it is not so easy to make pieces of styrofoam that fits. We also want to have a straight bottom, to be able to attach the aluminium we plan to have as surface in the freezer.

What we did to solve this was to make to “half-moon” (kind of) shaped pieces of styrofoam. The pieces follows the hull in the bottom and are straight on the top. We attached them on the hull next to the side walls. Then we filled the bottom of the freezer with expanding sealing foam between the half-moon pieces and attached a piece of styrofoam on top of that.

The bottom piece in position, underneath it we have filled up with expanding sealing foam.
After the sealing foam had dried, we drilled holes in the bottom piece and filled up with some extra expanding sealing foam to make sure the entire space beneath gets filled.

Next up will be next layer of styrofoam, prepare the aluminum pieces, fix the top part of the freezer and then add the chiller.

As we mentioned some weeks ago we also found some really wet wood when removing old insulation. We have started to remove all of this wet wood and today we actually found the source to the leakage, or at least one of them, there could of course be more of them. It is a hole  in the plastic in one of our open storages in the cockpit, so we will have some plastic repairs to do there in the spring. Fortunate that we already have a lot of experience with plastic repairs 😉

We have also started to set up some roof panels, and it is starting to look real good in the boat! 🙂

Building our own freezer

Before our summer sail we bought a new refrigerator from Dometic (more about in an old blog post, click HERE), instead of making our own, but now we will start building a freezer as a complement to our refrigerator so that we can store all fish we will (hopefully) catch. Next to the entrance under the bed there have been a cooling box previously, so we will use the same space as well, but with some modifications.

First up to do was to remove the old insulation in the box, and the old cooler. We will use another, newer, one we have already, from a refrigerator in a truck. It is a Danfoss BD35F compressor with a plate evaporator that we will mount in the top of the new freezer.

building freezer
Started to remove the old insulation. The cooling box as it was before didn’t have any surface above the styrofoam and some of them were really dirty and it was a lot of smell inside the cooling box. Very nice to get rid of it.
Styrofoam removed and the old cooler.
The box zoomed out.

As we want a freezer we will add more insulation than it was previously in the box, we will also use closed cell foam insulation that does not absorb any water. We will cover the insulation with white-painted aluminum.  This gives us a surface that is easy to clean. We removed some of the wood around the box to make it a bit bigger and since the new top will lay on the insulation.

building freezer

Unnecessary wooden parts removed and measuring how big the freezer we are building actually will be.

The freezer won’t be very big but we are prioritizing low power consumption instead of having a large freezer. This way the food we store here will be kept cold and if it should break for some reason the items will stay cool for a longer time.

During the weekend we have also started to prepare a roof to match our new mahogany strips. Our boat will soon look absolutely amazing! 🙂