What does it cost to go long distance sailing? What are the preparation costs? What equipment do you need to have? And what paperwork? When we started to dream about going on a long distance sailing adventure there are a lot of questions that pop up and in these subpages we will try to summarize how we have done things and our experiences. All boats and crews are different and we are no experts in the area, but we think there cannot be too many information pages about long distance sailing, so here is ours.
From here you can find the following information:
A list of all equipment we bought and brought with us for our sailing trip.
Our costs before departure, renovation of the boat and cost for equipment.
The paperwork needed for us and our sailboat to sail to the Caribbean.
Our cost for long distance sailing, and subpages with the costs for different areas.
Our sailing route with stops marked with dates and comments.
We hope that by posting this, we will help future sailors plan their trips. Just want to highlight that we are no experts, just done a trip like this once. But when we planned this trip we read several different blogs/webpages and so on, and we think it is good to have different peoples opinions/experiences and then you can adapt it to yourself. When you read through forums/blogs and everything you see that there are a lot of different opinions on everything and sometimes written in a way that kind of says “this is the only way to do something”.
In the pages here we write our opinions, but none of them should be read as “this is the only way to do it” and if interpreted that way, it is a mistake in our writing. It is just our opinion among all others and could be wrong or right depending on situation and should thus be taken lightly.
Other than the pages mentioned above here is a list of blog posts we have written that contains some useful information:
- Sailing over Bay of Biscay in October
- Our sail from Lagos to Canary Islands
- Canary islands to Cape Verde crossing
- Atlantic Crossing – Part 1
- Atlantic Crossing – Part 2
- Atlantic Crossing West-> East – Part One
- Atlantic Crossing West to East – Part Two
- Atlantic Crossing West -> East – Part Three
- Sailing from the Azores to UK
- Sailing across the North Sea
- Insurance for Cruising Sailboat
- Waiting for test results at Young Island
- Enter UK with sailboat after Brexit
- Sailing past the shipping lanes to the English Channel
- Sailing through huge waves along coast of Portugal
- Sailing through the Menai strait
- A visit by the coastguards…
- Refill gas bottles in Canary Islands (Lanzarote)
- Chill/prep days at Gran Canaria
If you want to read all blog post from our sailing adventure, all of them are listed under the page Our route and if you want to read all our blog posts before departure, when we renovated and prepared the boat, all those blog posts are listed under Preparations before departure.
Hope you find what we have written here helpful 🙂