After we have finished with the mahogany strips we started making roof panels so that the roof would match our beautiful new mahogany.
We bought a fake lather boat interior material at the boat store. We choose to buy the thinest version of the material, which was 1.2 mm thick. The reason for not choosing a thicker version was that the surface we want to attach them onto will be pretty smooth and then there is no need to have a thicker, more forgiving material.
Now we will just have to set up all the roof panels in the sailboat and after we are finished with that we are pretty much done with the interior (except some final fixes around the freezer and our fixes for the wood that was damage by a leakage). At least we want focus so much more on that right now before our departure but there are still a lot of things we want to improve but that will have to wait until the future.
We have also recently worked with repairing the damage done by the wood that was rotted, working with the freezer. More about that soon 🙂
Last weekend when we, as usual, were at the boat working we noticed a new place with rotten wood and apparently a leakage from above. We found it when we were removing styrofoam in our aft cabin (see The Boat to see an overview of of our boat). This rot is underneath one of the seats in the cockpit an dour guess is that it is a leak in one of the storage hatches in the cockpit (were we didn’t add any new plastic during our big plastic repair job). But, this is something we will have to do later in the spring. Yet another thing on the to-do list…
But, of course we are glad that we remove the styrofoam so that we find these things and can do something about it before we leave. We are also really glad that our sandwich hull does not have a wooden core (it is only above the waterline we have some places were there is a wooden core).
But some good news is that we are almost completely finished with setting up all mahogany! 🙂 And it looks so good, Thomas has been very thorough and it really shows. We have also started preparing for setting up som kind of roof panels, which will make our boat look even more fancy. We also plan to set up some LED-lists to put some light on our new hull and to get more light in the boat.
So soon we will be able to show some really amazing before and after pictures. We have also made a slight change of plan when it comes to our sailing route, but more about that soon as well.
We are definitely starting to make a progress with our mahogany interior. And the result is really good, we are really happy with our decision to do this work, even though it takes time. It both looks really good and also a lot of improvements with the boat smell. The entire boat is bit by bit starting to feel a lot fresher. One thing we did that has been a huge improvement smell-wise, is that we have set up old computer fans in the bilge to drag out the air in the bilge outside instead of it rising into the living area of the boat. We are also looking at renting a ozon generator to get rit of some old boat smell.
Now let’s look at some mahogany pictures.
We have planned to add mahogany at two more places, around the navigation table and at our aft “cabin”. After that we also have some more work to finish our electrical installation and also continue with our autopilot, of course. And also get all paperwork in order.
This weekend most of the time has been spent preparing for and setting up mahogany strips.
We have started to set up mahogany as well, but forgot to take a picture of that so it will have to wait a while.
We have also worked a bit with our gearbox. It has been leaking so we took it out and bought new sealings for it and did a more thorough job than we did before (when we had the engine out and did a renovation of it). When we have put it back and try it again it will hopefully not leak and we won’t get oil in the bilge.
It takes time to get all the mahogany strips in place and we will probably keep doing this for a while so sorry in advance for not so varying blog posts 😉
But will prepare one soon about some insurance thoughts, which we have started to investigate. A conclusion so far is that it is not easy when you have a boat that is cheap. But more about that in another blog post soon.
It’s been a couple of days since our last update here, but we blame Christmas holidays for that. We have spent some time working on the boat as well but also taking some time off to spend with our families.
One thing we have done during Christmas is to set up the first mahogany lists in the guest cabin.
We painted the vertical plywood strips black in case of gaps between the mahogany lists. The black material behind the mahogany is an insulation material called Armaflex, which we use both as a support for the lists and extra insulation.
We also moved the boat to a protected winter harbor for the coldest months before the ice comes. We will stay in the water for the winter and take Anne-Mon up on land in spring to go over the hull and re-paint it.
Soon it is a new year, 2020, the year we will leave Sweden and start our sailing adventure! 🙂 More about our plans for 2020 in next post.