Freezer progress

Lately we have continued with our future fish freezer. We have started to add insulation to it, in the form of some kind of styrofoam with closed cells. The closed cells means that it wont absorb any water.

Before we started adding insulation we replaced one of the “walls” to the freezer. The old one was pretty worn out and also had a big hole in it for the old chiller.

We replaced the old “wall” of the freezer box to a new fresh piece of wood instead.
First layer of styrofoam glued on the the sides of the freezer.

As mentioned above, the styrofoam we have used is a closed cell styrofoam. Each piece is 5 cm (2″) thick and for the side walls we will have 2 layers of styrofoam as insulation, so 10 cm (4″) in total. The bottom of the freezer follows the shape of the hull, which means it is not so easy to make pieces of styrofoam that fits. We also want to have a straight bottom, to be able to attach the aluminium we plan to have as surface in the freezer.

What we did to solve this was to make to “half-moon” (kind of) shaped pieces of styrofoam. The pieces follows the hull in the bottom and are straight on the top. We attached them on the hull next to the side walls. Then we filled the bottom of the freezer with expanding sealing foam between the half-moon pieces and attached a piece of styrofoam on top of that.

The bottom piece in position, underneath it we have filled up with expanding sealing foam.
After the sealing foam had dried, we drilled holes in the bottom piece and filled up with some extra expanding sealing foam to make sure the entire space beneath gets filled.

Next up will be next layer of styrofoam, prepare the aluminum pieces, fix the top part of the freezer and then add the chiller.

As we mentioned some weeks ago we also found some really wet wood when removing old insulation. We have started to remove all of this wet wood and today we actually found the source to the leakage, or at least one of them, there could of course be more of them. It is a hole  in the plastic in one of our open storages in the cockpit, so we will have some plastic repairs to do there in the spring. Fortunate that we already have a lot of experience with plastic repairs 😉

We have also started to set up some roof panels, and it is starting to look real good in the boat! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *