Companionway door renovation – part two

Time for part two of the companionway renovation! If you want to read part one, click HERE. After adding wood putty and sanding the companionway door several times it was time to put it together. First up was the frame, it is made of stainless steel and it was Anne-Mon’s previous owner that had made this. It is a well made frame so it is really nice to save some time and money.

Adding polyurethane glue for the frame around the door.
Fixing the frame with a lot of clamps.
The frame for the companionway door needed some adjustments to fit properly, but not much.
Testing to see if the window fits.
The handle for the door will go through the list, so we need to remove some of it.
Our newly bought wood router did the job of removing the list perfectly.
Next up was to fix the peephole for the engine instruments at the bottom of the companionway door. The surface on the inside of the peephole is rubber sealing, a cheap and easy fix.
Adding sealing for the stainless frame around the peephole.
The frame of the peephole on one side in position. These frames were also made by the previous owner.
After the frames were in position we continued with the window, sealing it and getting the frame and window in position.
The window seen from the outside.
The cabin door ready to be set up in the sailboat.
We want to be able to have the companionway door open while sailing, so we set up a hasp to hold the door.
Time to add raw linseed oil on the companionway door. We used the same linseed oil as we used for the sliding hatch.
The companionway door seen from the outside before adding linseed oil.
… and after!
The inside of the companionway door before adding linseed oil. The inside of the door is mahogany and the outside is teak.
… and after! 🙂

It feels really nice to have a proper door, but it is not completely finished. We are still missing a part for the handle, which we have ordered and should be arriving soon.  We will also varnish the door, but there’s no rush. The linseed oil needs 14 days to harden and wood is protected by the oil.

Just for fun, here’s a picture of the old door we had. Just a piece of plywood with some insulation on it.

Another thing we did was to change the plexiglass for the engine instruments seen from the cockpit.

The old plexiglass, not so easy to see what the instruments say.
A closer look does not make it easier.
The new plexiglass in position together with its stainless frame.
Definitely easier to read the instruments now.

Next up will be a post about our propane installation, which we have been working with in parallel to the cabin door and a bunch of other things. We are preparing Anne-Mon so that we can take a couple of days to go sailing in the Stockholm archipelago, hopefully we will be off sailing in a couple of days.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *